Re: Introduction to multiarch: What maintainers must do

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:53:37AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> Thanks for this excellent post, Goswin.

> [Goswin von Brederlow]
> > 3) Library package
> > ------------------
> >
> >   a) Follow Policy 8.2 (MUST directive)
> >      No conffiles, no binaries in the library package, no shared files
> >      (/usr/share/doc/package/ is excempt and dpkg will handle that).

> Policy does not forbid /usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/libfoo0.mo (as
> it is specific to the soname) - but it sounds like that will break
> library multiarch too.  Can we have an exception for this?  It seems
> silly to require a libfoo0-l10n package for every localized library.

No exception is needed.  The current proposed multiarch design doesn't
prohibit /usr/share/locale* files in library packages; the only requirement
is that any files shipped there are identical between packages of the same
version for multiple architectures.