Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash (part two)

Hi Ian,

Ian Jackson wrote:

> Raphael Geissert writes ("Switching /bin/sh to dash (part two)"):
>> * Make dash essential, make it divert the current /bin/sh symlink by
>> default, make another essential package depend on dash. Prompt the
>> user before diverting on interactive upgrades.
>
> This needs to be done with great care to ensure that at every point
> there is a working /bin/sh.  Naive use of diversions will not ensure
> this.

Sure, we've been very cautious, and we are even making dash provide /bin/sh.
We'll be talking about this during the talk at debconf.

> I would suggest stracing (with -Fff) the dpkg -i run of the new dash
> package, to check that /bin/sh is updated in the proper manner.

In theory the symlink is never actually removed (at one point we need to
manually touch the link, but it's done with ln -sf). But good idea, I'll
check with strace.

P.S. no need to send me a copy of your messages.

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert