Re: Intend to create an -fPIC library package...

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> (22/07/2009):
> > Yes. Check "man dpkg-gensymbols" and see how some nice tools
> > […propaganda…]
>
> FSVO “nice”. #536034.

Mistakes happen, that doesn't change anything concerning the usefulness of
the tool.

> In case a maintainer of a shared lib never did this, I strongly advise
> playing around with a simple combo of diff, find, and nm, in order to
> have a look at what symbols are becoming between two releases.

Why is that better than comparing both symbols files and having the build
actually fail if a symbol is removed?

Using nm/find/diff is more complicated and I don't see a clear advantage
to it.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog