Re: Intend to create an -fPIC library package...

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:40:17AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> So I try to get this working on Debian, too, and create a libmysqld0
> package with a shared library instead. Speaking of it, which soname
> version should I give it? 0.0.0? Or something like 0.5137.0 to somehow
> encode a version as I cannot promise that *I* know when
> they make API changes?

Well, as the maintainer, you should review their API and bump the soname
as necessary.  Maybe you could do this in cooperation with RedHat.

> .so.5.1.37 seems not to be a good idea in case MySQL somewhen starts
> to ship a libmysqld.so.5 themselves.

But that means transitioning all reverse-depends for every mysql minor
release.  It might be a good idea for you, but not necessarily for the
rest of the distribution. (Unless there are only very few packages using
the mysql lib).

So I think the 0d 1d etc. approach (if easily possible; at least with
libtool it's not possible out-of-the-box I think, however cmake can do
it) is better.

Michael