Re: How to get all dependent source packages

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 01:42:44 +0800
sha liu <sandyleo26@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/20 Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>
>
> > sha liu <sandyleo26@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >     Is there any easy method to get all the *source* packages
> > > which are
> > the
> > > build dependency of one package?
> > >     What I want to do is building dpkg from source on a CLFS[0]
> > > system.
> > So I
> > > have to get all the dpkg's dependency source packages and the
> > > dependency
> > of
> > > dependency and so on...
> > >     I look into auto-apt, apt-get builddep. Both of them install
> > > the
> > binary
> > > packages to fulfill the dependency, not downloading the source
> > > packages. It's crazy to download all dependent source packages of
> > > dpkg, right?
> > Any
> > > suggestion is welcomed!
> > > [0][[http://trac.cross-lfs.org/]]
> > >     For those don't know clfs, just think a CLFS system as a
> > > minimal
> > linux
> > > system without debianization.
> > > --
> > > Best,
> > > Sha Liu
> >
> > It is crazy. Or at least in general you can not build a source
> > package without having a full build chroot with binaries already.
> > Just the sources for a minimla build chroot are >800MB already and,
> > last I checked, which is a few years back, include latex and X.
> > Adding all the sources for the Build-Depends of those probably
> > doubles the size again.
> >
> > Just build (c)debootstrap manually or use the static one and create
> > a build chroot from debs.
>
> Hi Goswin.
>     debootstrap will just install the binaries. However, what I want
> is building binaries on my own. The reason I want to do this is I
> want to port Debian to different arch(MIPS III and loongson 2F),
> considering there're only mips and mipsel port in Debian archive now.
Use pbuilder. It creates a chroot, downloads and installs all required
packages and then builds your source package.

Btw., the base chroot is about 80MB (gzipped). How big it gets when
building depends on the dependencies, but I never had to download 800MB
(if I understood correctly, you don't want to build the whole
distribution, just a single package, rigth?)

Cheers,
harry