Re: RFC round 3: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Jonathan Yu wrote:
> > So, you are expecting that someone who reviews a patch would known how to
> > convert bug numbers to URLs for *all* these trackers?
> Actually, I was expecting that a program they were using would do that
> sort of thing on their behalf, or a script to do it.

Most patches are exchanged by VCS or mail. There's no special program
in the standard workflow... we should cater to real use case and for this
I tend to agree that using plain URLs is the best compromise.

> What if the URL changes but all the data is moved over? That's a
> corner case, but hey, you never know.

You update the links exactly like you would have to update all the parsers
that hardcode the bug number -> URL mapping.

Anyway, trying to optimize a spec for corner cases like this one is a
bad idea in general.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/