Re: binNMUs for arch:all packages too

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 01:50:14PM +0300, Kari Pahula wrote:
>> only builds foo_1.0-1+b1 for arch:any packages.  No +b1 is built for
>> any possible -doc packages.  Often, this is what's expected, but not
>> always.
>
>> I don't know offhand if this has been discussed before.  Any reasons
>> why this shouldn't be supported?
>
> Because:
>
> - there are no autobuilders configured to build arch: all packages in debian

We know...

> - allowing arch: all packages to be binNMUed breaks the invariant that
>   packages may use ${binary:Version} for package relationships on other
>   arch: any packages from the same source package, and ${source:Version} for
>   package relationships on arch: all packages from the source package
>
>> What's needed to get this working?
>
> I don't think it should be made to work.

The ${source:Version} thing is a point. However, I also see a need for
such binNMUs, or rather a case where it would be helpful.

That's the case when a package Build-Depends on some package because it
needs to incorporate code (or configuration settings or data or
whatever) into it's arch:all binary packages. For example tex-common
provides dh_installtex which writes code into the Build-Depending
packages's maintainer scripts.

I'm not aware of any other debhelper-like scripts, but there may be
some. Fixing a bug in cdbs (e.g. failing to make the necessary dh_foo
calls) might also mean that some packages need to be rebuilt.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)