Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 01:27:16PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 02:38:47PM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> > So 'Description' (Subject), 'Bug' (Closes), Signed-Of-By, Origin
> > (Author) are already there, some of them already being used by other
> > tools (git-dch). Wouldn't it make sense to choose (or at least allow
> > for) a format that's compatbile with what git-format-patch generates?
>
> Why not just fix/change git-format-patch (or create a
> git-format-debian-patch) to create a DEP#3 conforming header instead?
The current format created by git-format-patch can just be fed to git-am
again (which eases work on patch-queue branches) or be send as an email
to upstream. We can of course convert from and to a DEP#3 compatible
format but why not use something the rest of world uses for exchanging
patches?
Cheers,
 -- Guido