Re: piuparts output wishlist?

> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:
> > How would _you_ like to see piuparts report results, and produce other
> > output? Go wild, the sky is bright blue.
> >
> > The obvious things to fix are:
> >
> > - make it really easy to see what the result of each test is
>
> Almost as obvious is to easily identify which test is being run.
> I think a good way to show both of these would be to have a different
> channel of output, beside the logging output, that shows explicitly a
> test identifier at the start, and then the result of that test at the
> end, with a visually similar presentation for both. “Test identifier”
> can simply be a command line, for example::
>
>     N: Running command: ‘dpkg --info /var/cache/pbuilder/result/burn_0.4.4-1_all.deb’
>     …
>     I: Command OK:      ‘dpkg --info /var/cache/pbuilder/result/burn_0.4.4-1_all.deb’
>     N: Running command: ‘chroot /tmp/tmpQm3zr8 dpkg -i tmp/burn_0.4.4-1_all.deb’
>     …
>     E: Command FAILED:  ‘chroot /tmp/tmpQm3zr8 dpkg -i tmp/burn_0.4.4-1_all.deb’

What about emitting this as TAP, the Test Anything Protocol [1]?
The general format is
    1..N
    ok 1 Description # Directive
    not ok 42 Description
    # Diagnostic

It does not support severities, but these could be put in a Diagnostic line.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/TAP-1.00/TAP.pm

Regards,
  Peter Pöschl