Re: apt-get wrapper for maintaining Partial Mirrors

Joseph Rawson <umeboshi3@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday 19 June 2009 12:57:25 Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Or have a proxy that adds packages that are requested.
> When I woke up this morning, I was thinking that it might be interesting to
> have an apt method that talks directly to reprepro.  It's just a vague idea
> now, but I'll give it some more thought later.

Way too much latency to mirror a deb when requested and you need to
run apt-get update for it to show up.

The best you can do is add the package to the filter list and then
fetch it directly. Then the next night the mirror will pick it up for
future updates.

But now you made me think about this too. So here is what I think:

- My bandwidth at home is fast enough to fetch packages directly. No
  need to mirror at all.

- I don't want to download a package multiple times (once per host) so
  some shared proxy would be good.

- Bootstraping a chroot still benefits from local packages but a
  shared proxy would do there too.

- When I'm not at home I might not have network access or only a slow
  one so then I need a mirror. And my parents computer has a Linux that
  only I use and that needs a major update every time I vistit.

So the ideal setup would be an apt proxy that stores the packages in
the normal pool structure and has a simple command to create
Packages.gz, Sources.gz, Release and Release.gpg files so the cache
directory can be copied onto a USB disk and used as a repository of
its own.

Optional the apt proxy could prefetch package versions but for me that
wouldn't be a high priority.

Nice would be that it fetches sources along with binaries. When I find
a bug in some software while traveling I would hate to not have the
source available to fix it. But then it also needs to fetch
Build-depends and their depends. So that would complicate matters a
lot.

MfG
        Goswin