Re: apt-get wrapper for maintaining Partial Mirrors

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 02:14:08PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Joseph Rawson <umeboshi3@gmail.com> [090619 13:23]:
> > >
> > > And reprepro does not fit the bill because?
> > >
> > It fits part of the bill, as it's an excellent tool for maintaining a
> > repository, but it doesn't resolve dependencies (nor should it).
>
> Actually, I'm quite open to having some depedency handling in reprepro
> and already have written some simple prototype for a related project.
> The problem is that calculating a simple cover of selected packages in
> the dependency graph is not enough:
>
> Usually the cover is not unique but the existance of alternatives in
> dependencies causes multiple solutions. For an initial checkout that
> is no problem, as one can choose one some set by some pseudo-random
> selection (like "packages with alphabetically lower names get the
> first depedency in an alternative tried first" and similar things
> for virtual packages). The problem is that no such criterion can be
> stable against changes in the partially mirrored distribution.

While it's a good queastion, the interface I'm used to use is apt-get /
aptitude. Thus the interface I had in mind is "a list of packages to
install" (in a single installation). Using some tweaking this allows you
to get exactly what you want.

If you want your repository to include conflicting options, you should
allow the interface to include multiple such entries. In our case we had
multiple files. Each file was a list of packages, and each file was
basically a "single apt-get command".