Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 19 juin 2009 à 10:05 +0000, Sune Vuorela a écrit :
>>> +The usage of this format is highly recommended but as long as it's not
>>> +endorsed by the Debian policy, it will not be required. It is however
>> "And there is no plan to make it required in the future"
>
> What is the point of introducing this spec if it is not made mandatory
> at some point in the future?

compare internet:
- it work fine
- it doesn't mandate any RFC
- it would be a mess not having RFC.

Personally I think we are too far to mandate DEP-3
(and BTW the subject has "guideline", not "requirements"):
- we need to use the new source format
- we need to have experiences with new dpkg-source and
  new tagging, and to found problem
- and probably new discussion about real problems.

so, IMHO we need a complete guidelines and start to use
it widely. It should not be complete or 100% precise
(so not yet the right time for bike-shading).
Then from time to time we could include some mature items
in the policy and discuss improvements.

Anyway I think we will need a guideline in parallel to
the policy: the guideline could explain better the problem
and the solutions, future directions, recommendations etc.
then the policy.

ciao
	cate