Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:

> This one time, at band camp, Ben Finney said:
> > I'm not sure how to resolve this without making the specification
> > more hairy. Is there prior art we can refer to?
>
> Why not just use standard csv rules for this sort of thing, ie add
> quotes where necessary?

I can see two reasons against that. One is that there *is* no single set
of “standard CSV rules”, instead there are many implementations
incompatible to differing degrees. Another is that such rules become
rather more complex than the use of whitespace to separate values.

For the prior art, I'm in favour of applying standard POSIX shell
argument lexing: whitespace separates values, except when that
whitespace is escaped. I think that the fact this *is* standardised
already makes it significantly better than trying to use CSV.

--
 \                “Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.” —Groucho Marx |
Ben Finney