Re: realtime kernel for Debian

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Do you really need real time kernel?
> Debian is a technical driven project, but reading the previous two quotes,
> "real time" is used as marketing thing.

It's good to question the use of any feature, but a real-time kernel is
certainly very useful in many industrial applications and Debian is
popular in that field. (Don't put a marketing label on anything where
you are not yourself sure of your expertise.)

I do use a real-time kernel on a Debian based system for one of my
customers (but I have to recompile the kernel anyway because I do other
customizations) and I have good reasons to do so because I can't suffer
serial overrun and I must ensure that the serial interrupt handler
is run in the required time and that no other (kernel) task has higher
priority.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/