Re: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Michael Banck wrote:

So it would be great if some numbers could be brought up first (maybe
Andreas has a rough overview now, because he looked at the different
kinds of itemizations).

Well, I had not but you can get it somehow by

for tag in "\*" "-" "+" "o" ; do
    echo "Tag $tag was used `grep "^  $tag " /var/lib/dpkg/available | wc -l` times"
done

Tag \* was used 5647 times
Tag - was used 2710 times
Tag + was used 85 times
Tag o was used 282 times

which only counts those who have proper spacing - but for a rough estimation
'*' wins definitely.

Again, I don't think enumerations are used that much (and if they are, a
lot of them are really itemizations I guess)

Just recommending: There is no real need for enumerations - lets use
itemize in any case might be a valid point as well.  But IMHO whe need
descriptions (in the sense of LaTeX description environment or HTML <dl>).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de