Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 09:00:34PM +0100, Arthur de Jong wrote:
> I can understand there may be benefits of a parsable format but I don't
> directly see enough gain. On the other hand there seems to be a lot of
> (perceived) cost involved (maintainer work).

Implicit in your email is the idea that the copyright proposal is complicated.

  Files: *
  Licence: BSD

I can imagine that being valid syntax for the final format. Hardly a chore!

> This means that if you want to introduce a new format you have to
> convince the maintainer of a package that there is some benefit, be it
> in tools that make their life easier or some concrete benefit for our
> users.

Agreed.

Clearly, given the successful uptake of the proposal given it's draft nature,
people are already seeing value. Perhaps like me, one of those values is having
a consistent way of laying out the file, without having to worry about
inventing your own consistent formatting style.

Maybe that's just my mild OCD speaking though. Heh.