Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

Jan Hauke Rahm <info@jhr-online.de> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 05:52:16PM +1000, James Westby wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 16:07 +0100, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
>> > And how do you store that in a VCS if a second tarball includes files
>> > that actually overwrite files of the main orig tarball. At build time
>> > directories in the main orig tarball are supposed to be overwritten by
>> > the part tarball but if you go the same way in a VCS you lose some
>> > information, don't you?
>>
>> I'm not sure what information would be lost, could you expand?
>
> Imagine an orig tarball with a config directory and an orig part-tarball
> named orig-config.tar.whatever. The second tarball would overwrite
> what's in the config dir of the first one when executing dpkg-source -x.
> If you just store that unpacked data in a VCS you've lost what's in the
> config dir in the first tarball because it's overwritten.
>
> Hauke

I would use branches. Each tar goes to one branch. The branches are
then merged into the master branch.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: there should be some conffile in the source telling what tar.gz
goes to which branch in case the name changes between releases. Or
some logic that strips version numbers from the filesname or
something.