Re: #518696 ITP: parallel -- build and execute command lines from standard input in parallel]

clone 518696 -1
reassign -1 findutils
retitle -1 Add "parallel" somewhere in the description of -P
thanks

Andreas Rottmann, le Mon 09 Mar 2009 11:25:11 +0100, a écrit :
> Did you know about the `-P' option of GNU xargs?

Herm, I would have found it if the manpage didn't lack keywords like
"parallel", "simultaneous", ... Reassigning.

That being said, I guess xargs lacks one parallel feature:

 -g       Group output.  Output from each jobs is grouped together and is only printed
          when the command is finished. STDERR first followed by STDOUT.  -g is the
          default. Can be reversed with -u.

A lot of applications (including md5sum) would not necessarily print
their output atomically and then you get mixed output.  Either we add
the option to findutils, or we package parallel.

Samuel