Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:43:43AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> writes:
>
> > Compressing -dbg files using dh_builddeb -Zlzma, which uses lzma
> > compression instead of gzip, gives an average gain of 1.88 in size for
> > the current -dbg packages we have in sid.
>
> Compressing with bzip2 is already supported by DAK and might help almost
> as much.  (I realize that LZMA is a better compression scheme overall, but

Most of the tests shows that bzip2 is slower to decompress an archive and
has a smaller gain than LZMA.

> it's apparently also deprecated, replaced with XZ, and using it in the
> archive will require further DAK changes or work to switch to XZ instead.)

AFAIK, allowing LZMA in DAK is just a matter of changing one line in
DAK.

Do you have more details about LZMA being deprecated and replaced by XZ?
If we want to allow XZ, it will be for squeeze + 1 only.

BTW, I think we should also to disallow the compression for some
Debian packages. There is no point of compressing a package with gzip
when it contains a single source.bz2 (or .gz or .lzma) and a
changelog.gz. This is already supported by the tools, but not by DAK.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73