Re: Pristine source from upstream VCS repository

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Debian's policy §4.9 discusses a ‘debian/rules’ target named
> ‘get-orig-source’:
>
>      `get-orig-source' (optional)
>           This target fetches the most recent version of the original
>           source package from a canonical archive site (via FTP or
>           WWW, for example), does any necessary rearrangement to turn
>           it into the original source tar file format described below,
>           and leaves it in the current directory.
>
> I have had some success with the following approach:
> […]

>   * Invoke the appropriate VCS tool to export the specified revision
>     from the VCS repository URL to a temporary directory.
> […]

It's been brought to my attention that this approach actually
conflicts with the above section of policy.

Am I right in thinking that the ‘get-orig-source’ target should ignore
the version strings in ‘debian/changelog’, and should instead get
whatever version is the latest available from upstream?

--
 \     “A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends |
  `\   to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.” —Carl |