Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

Bill Unruh <unruh@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> > There is absolutely no problem with distributing mkisofs binaries that are
> > linked against CDDLd libs that are a "different work".
>
> Well, no, there is a problem. Whether that problem is due to a misreading of
> the law, differing laws (Under US, the concept of derivative work is a very
> important and strong concept. Publishers have been successfully sued for using less than
> .3% of another work in their work. It is a vague and broad concept, and at
> present in a situation like this all we have are legal theories, since courts
> have not ruled. Note that part of the SCO suit against IBM is precisely based
> on this concept of derivative work, and a broad interpretation thereof. Maybe
> that case will clarify the situation, but I doubt it.

The US courts seem to have strange ideas about the Copyright... I know of a case
where a US Lawyer did steal one of the major font collections of the world and
modified only 5% of the mesh-points from be Bezier splines that define the fonts.
For almost all people, the resulting fonts look identical to the original fonts.
A US judge did see no Copyright violation in this case.

> From your comments, it appears that German copyright law does not contain that
> concept. Unfortunately all Linux distributions are world wide and have to
> worry about the law in many jurisdictions, especially the USA.

There are some basic concepts in the Berne convention that apply to all
countries that singed the Berne contract.

> Anyway, since the people in the Linux distributions clearly are worried about
> the legal situation for whatever reason, and since the dual licensing of
> libscg or the parts of libscg actually used by mkisofs would make them happy,
> and since the benefit to users of having your software available on the
> distributions would be great, I would ask you consider doing something like
> that.

I know that my theory applies to the European Copyright law and Eben Moglen did
confirm that the relevent parts also apply to the US law system. Isn't this
sufficient?

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)