conffile renaming and other sh snippets for maintainer scripts

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 08:01:42PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> It would of course have to be in an Essential: yes package, since conffile
> renaming has to be handled in the package preinst and we wouldn't want
> conffile handling to involve lots of extra Pre-Depends.  dpkg itself is the
> most likely package to carry this - wishlist bug on dpkg warranted?

Instead of dpkg itself, I would prefer a new, tiny teeny package,
meant to become a small lib of shell script snippets on which
maintainer scripts can rely: a sort of debhelper for maintainer
scripts.  Of course it should better be maintained by the dpkg team,
but I guess having a separate source package can ease maintenance.

Cheers.