Re: Requirement for a “proper manpage” for every command

Manoj Srivastava dijo [Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:22:57PM -0600]:
> > Hmh, this could even be promoted as a "best packaging practice". Many
> > authors do ship properly-formatted --help entries, and our
> > hand-generated manpages can often linger behind the truth. Any strong
> > opinions against?
>
>         I would not call it best. Barely adequate, perhaps. Could do
>  better, certainly.  Best practrice would be to write up a real man
>  page, perhaps using the help2man as a starting point.

I agree - But at least its output is equivalent in quality to a couple
of manpages I have hand-generated (i.e. documenting a somewhat-obscure
command or one for which the --help output is just enough). For one of
them I have already ditched my man page for a call to help2man in
debian/rules' install - It will at least make sure I don't skip any
changes introduced upstream.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23