Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:31:36AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> I asked Eben Moglen:

>   The way I read the GPLv2, the "system exception" in section 3 only
>   gives you the permission to omit the system parts from the "complete
>   source". Where do you see additional differences to other code that
>   is not part of "the system"?

> Eben Moglen replied:

> I don't.  I agree with you.  I told Mark and his colleagues that a
> past question raised on the debian-legal mailing list--whether an
> OpenSolaris distribution could combine GNU userland with Solaris
> kernel via OpenSolaris CDDL C-Library--was a non-issue, but that in
> the course of answering it Stallman realized that we would need to
> change the "system library" exception in GPLv3 to make the provision
> clearer.  You are correct that the only question in combining CDDL
> system libraries with GPL'd code is what constitutes complete and
> corresponding source code, and nothing more.  Mark's account of the
> conversation to you was confusing.

> As you see, Moglen sees no way to treat "libschily" different from "libc" on
> Solaris. Both are under CDDL and the FSF clearly confirms that it is perfectly
> legal to distribute binaries from GPLd programs compiled for OpenSolaris.

Nothing you quoted above says anything about a) whether libschily is
considered a system library, or b) what the implications are for a CDDL work
being considered part of the complete corresponding source code.

We have had conversations with the FSF's Brett Smith to the effect that,
under both GPLv2 and GPLv3, even OpenSSL can not be considered a system
library, and that as a result Debian cannot ship binaries of GPL works
linked against libssl.

I think that you're getting the answers you're looking for from Eben because
once again, you're framing the question in terms of your own biased
interpretation of what the GPL says.