Re: Requirement for a “proper manpage” for every command

On Mon, Mar 02 2009, Adeodato Simó wrote:

> Many times the problem is that upstreams do provide such adequate
> documentation... in other formats than man pages. What should the
> packager do in that case? Create a dummy man page pointing out to eg.
> /usr/share/doc/foopkg/html/fooprog.html? Copy over the contents of
> fooprog.html to fooprog.1? Other?

        What I have done in the past is to create a good, current man
 page with the contents of the upstream provided manual, and add in a
 caveat that the primary documentation lies elsewhere, and ask users to
 refer to it for completeness. I submitted the man page upstream (and
 have had some upstreams reject it).

        Then, every few revisions, I would resync the man page. I
 consider this just one of the things that Debian maintainedrs
 ought to do -- I mean, we are not just glorified packagers.

        manoj
--
Parkinson's Fifth Law: If there is a way to delay in important decision,
the good bureaucracy, public or private, will find it.