Re: Is the FHS dead ?

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:44 AM, Giacomo A. Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
>>
>> Luke L <lukehasnoname@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Something to think about: Shouldn't SQL databases and web servers, and
>>> file servers, be under /srv/? /srv/www, /srv/mysql, /srv/smb, etc.?
>>
>> The current FHS reserves /srv's namespace for the local administrator.  My
>> guess is that people won't want to go back on that promise and start
>> allocating namespace in the standard.
>
> I don't agree.
> so I see only /srv/ftp (maybe few others) protocol that could use a
> standardized
> /srv.

I think you misunderstood, Russ is saying that /sys is the sysadmin's
domain and nothing should be installed there by Debian packages.

That isn't incompatible with Luke's opinion that databases should be
stored in /srv rather than /var/lib/. I agree with that and think the
sysadmin should decide where they want to store system data (inc
databases, websites, ftp upload directories, cvs repositories, etc).

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise