Re: Is the FHS dead ?

Ben Finney wrote:
Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:

Reiviving the FHS is great! Something that is bothering me a bit,
though, is that historically it seemed to try to cater to Unix in
general, not only Linux, even if most of the participants were
coming from the Linux world.

What reference do you have for that? My recollection of the FHS
purpose from its inception was that it was limited to GNU/Linux, just
as now.

No, at one time it did have a number of BSD people contributing as well.
Unfortunately, it apparently became Linux-specific over time. The FHS should really have formalised existing practice and allowed more input from the BSD people, because some things commonplace on BSD (and in the GNU coding standards) such as /usr/libexec are still not in the FHS despite being in common use (in Debian we have to patch all these packages to use /usr/lib instead for no good reason).

Regards,
Roger