Re: Forthcoming changes in kernel-package

On Mon, Feb 09 2009, Michael Tautschnig wrote:

> [...]
>>    c. his means there will be no need for /etc/kernel-img.conf file any
>>       more.
>
> [...]
>
> Isn't this file also read in the postinst of the "official" kernels?
> In FAI we had several issues when kernel-img.conf was missing or
> hadn't had the proper values in there.

        I think that is a carry over from the days when the official
 kernels were based on kernel-package. I am given to understand that is
 not how things are supposed to work post lenny.

        In any case, I guess what I meant to say was that images created
 by kernel-package will stop paying attention to /etc/kernel-img.conf,
 and thus there will be no reason to keep that file for the sake of
 kernel-package images. kernel-package shall also stop creating the file
 if it does not exist.

        Another thing going away is the on-th-fly patching of the
 sources; the preferred way to patch the sources will be to do so
 outside of make-kpkg, before invoking the make-kpkg script to package
 the kernel images.

        All that convoluted code excised from kernel-package ought to
 improve robustness.

        manoj
--
Love may laugh at locksmiths, but he has a profound respect for money
bags. Sidney Paternoster, "The Folly of the Wise"