Re: gone - no logout

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@lina.inka.de> wrote:
> In article <200901271009.35031.russell@coker.com.au> you wrote:
> > Would it hurt to have a duplicate start entry in a wtmp file?  If not
> > then is there any reason not to duplicate the entries from sessions in
> > progress from the wtmp.1 file to the wtmp file so that "last" will
> > display all sessions completely?
>
> Another option would be to have at least a "rotated" entry (like the reboot
> entries). But its most likely easier to just not rotate the files in normal
> operation.

For small servers not rotating the wtmp file is easier.  When running servers
that get a few hundred K per month you could have 10 years of wtmp history in
a single file without problems.

I'm sure that there are large servers where rotating the wtmp file is
required.  The question is what the default should be, given that the number
of machines which get large wtmp files is very small it seems reasonable to
make a default that works well for small systems.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog