Re: The evil build methods of thy libev

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 02:35:15AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Wow, nice upstream.  Maybe you should reconsider whether this code
> belongs
> in Debian at all; we have enough hostile upstreams without seeking
> them out.

in the interest of good cooperation with upstream, we should keep in
mind that there are a handfull of sometimes conflicting interests, and
while making every library a shared one is one of our concerns as a
distribution, it might only rank second for other people. that's not
exactly "hostile".

in the special case of libev there also might be another way: you could
use libev's feature to embed a "user data" void* and create a thin
wrapper around this libev that can be used as a shared library. this way
the user of the library can choose whether she wants to use the shared
library version with user data pointers, or use the way envisioned by
libev upstream for that extra 0.0001% performance. this might even be a
solution that is acceptable to upstream...

cu  robert

ps: i like libev, it's awesome!

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com