Re: Yet another list statistics for debian-devel

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 03:18:26PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, Loïc Minier wrote:

>> Geez instead of spamming every Debian list and making you the top
>> poster in terms of number of Debian lists today, what about announcing
>> this no -project and/or -devel and in the next developer news?

> Well, I recieved 3 contra and about 30 pro mails for what I've done.

I thought complaining about sending these to each list would be "cure worse
than the disease".  But if you're keeping score and taking the raw number of
approvals vs. disapprovals as an endorsement, then count me among the
disapprovers.

This discussion is on-topic for debian-project - it's off-topic for almost
all of the lists that you posted the results to.

>   2. The readers of mailing lists who show activity problems are
>      most probably and will not read -project or -devel so I
>      would not have reached them = I would have failed my basic
>      intention to reach problematic list.

And how do you define "activity problems"?  If you mean "low volume", a) I
think it's unduly presumptious of you to declare this a "problem", b) I
expect that the people already subscribed to the mailing lists are *least*
likely to be a source of increased activity in response to such a prod.

>   4. According to spam: As a side effect I've detected about 4500
>      Spam mails in our archive.  Do you consider sending one single
>      mail to about 30 list as excusable if I might help out to clean
>      up the archive from this mails as a punishment I deserve for
>      this misuse?

Hah - I think that would be an adequate penance. :)  But penance does not
imply an endorsement of the "sin".

>   3. I want to trigger discussion about my specific interpretation
>      of the list activity on the according list.

Mmm, no thanks.  M-F-T set appropriately.