Re: integration with power management stacks

This one time, at band camp, Josselin Mouette said:
> Le dimanche 11 janvier 2009 à 12:07 +0000, Stephen Gran a écrit :
> > I have no idea for:
> > pm-utils: ?
>
> You need to ship a script in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d. The format is
> very simple, just look at the existing scripts.
>
> > the gnome power stack - is this a veneer on pm-utils or it's own thing?
>
> gnome-power-manager is just a frontend to HAL which calls pm-utils.
>
> > There seems to be some dbus integration for all this as well, and then
> > there are probably several I've never heard of.
>
> You can write a HAL addon for your package. If you just want to restore
> settings after suspend, that’s overkill, but if you want to make the
> settings accessible to users somehow, that’s the way to go. I would not
> recommend to do that for hdparm; this kind of setting should really be
> autodetected by the system, anyway.

Agreed - I don't think hdparm should be used outside of a 'last resort'
situation where the kernel gets it wrong.  This is happening less and
less over time, but it is still occasionally necessary, so I keep
maintaining it.

I don't want to automatically do anything by default - I'm just looking
to redo what the admin asked for so that settings get reapplied if
they've been lost over suspend to disk/ram.

Cheers, and thanks for the pointers.