Re: Override changes standard -> optional

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:

finger
It's been a while since I've seen a useful finger server, I think it's fine
to drop this too.

db.debian.org, but that doesnt need it standard.

For what it's worth finger's local features are still important.
I've recently seen a professor explain to a class of students
mostly unfamilar with Unix-style systems that the command to
list the users current logged in was "finger". Obviously
the normal command for this purpose is "who".

Also AFAIK finger is the only program that normally exposes
the contents of the /etc/passwd GECOS feild, as well as the .plan
and .project file. I'll admit those are rarely used today,
but there is some major tradition behind finger being a basic UNIX
component.