Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2009-12-29 17:44:31 +0100, Milan P. Stanic wrote:
> > Mutt in testing/unstable use /etc/mailname.
>
> But not the official Mutt version.

Who lets you configure the correct domain you want it to use for email
addresses in its config files, although I don't recall if you can tell it
what to use for message-ids.

Debian mutt will autoconfigure better, but that's it.

That said, the canonical name is required by POSIX, but POSIX (looking at
SuSv3) doesn't require it to be unique, doesn't give it any application
usage notes, and in fact doesn't even require it to be a FQDN (which is, in
fact a pratical requirement of the stuff that uses the canonical name).

If you want proper message-ids, do it right and have a GUUID in it.  If mutt
depends on the result of gethostname() to be unique in the whole world to
generate proper message-ids, it is broken.

  Henrique Holschuh