Re: Switch on compiler hardening defaults

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, Kees Cook wrote:
> That's certainly a viable plan.  This is kind of the approach we took in
> Ubuntu for the PIE feature.  We also considered packages with a less than
> stellar security history.  The list of packages built with PIE in Ubuntu
> is: (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/KnowledgeBase/BuiltPIE )
>
>  amavisd-new apache2 asterisk bind9 cups cyrus-sasl2 dhcp3 dovecot exim4

amavisd-new is perl, does that need PIE?  Or do you mean the C utilities
(which are not network services but on the other hand are not
performance-sensitive anyway so might as well enable it just in case)?

Anyway, I'd appreciate a bug report against amavisd-new with whatever
information is pertinent about PIE, if you guys want us to add it to the
package.

> I couldn't agree more.  See /usr/share/hardening-includes/hardening.make
> for details, but a package trying to avoid the hardening flags could just
> set DEB_BUILD_HARDENING=0 in debian/rules.

Can we get a standard DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS while that is still possible?

  Henrique Holschuh