Re: Some questions on format "3.0 (quilt)" multi-origin

Rene Engelhard ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:28:56AM +0100, Marco Nenciarini wrote:
>> 3) When a new version of a component is released, how to handle it in
>> the new source format? I can't find any standard place where to put meta
>> informations regarding extra origin tarball.
>
> I don't think there exist one. And as the .tar.gz has to change names
> anyway because otherwise it'd be the same I think the only option
> left in this case is something like
>
> dovecot_1.2.7.orig-libsieve-0.1.13.tar.gz
>
> Unfortunately that needs a stable update (1.14.27) before you can use this...
> (because of the -) :( And if you need a libsieve dir then you need to create
> a symlink.
>
> /me has to do the same game for openoffice.org and ooo-build.

After some thinking I believe this isn't a good idea.

I think the right way to include a new component or to update one is to
bump the package source version. Something like:

dovecot_1.2.7+plugin1.orig-libsieve.tar.gz

This avoids to let dpkg-source (and the maintainer also) confused when
you try to build the source, because it uses a completely new namespace.

Moreover I think that the orig tarball should not be changed without a
version bump, even if it is composed by multiple files.

Any comments?

Regards,
Marco

|    Marco Nenciarini    | Debian/GNU Linux Developer - Plug Member |
| mnencia@prato.linux.it | http://www.prato.linux.it/~mnencia       |
Key fingerprint = FED9 69C7 9E67 21F5 7D95  5270 6864 730D F095 E5E4