Increasing developer productivity through tools

Have you got any suggestions for increasing productivity with proper
IDE support for medium-sized C and C++ code bases?

I've got a hunch that proper browsing support (searching for
definitions/references, displaying static call trees) might help me to
navigate unfamiliar code bases, making it easier to review and apply
fixes.  Ctags does not seem to be reliable enough.  I would prefer
something based on a real C/C++ implementation, honoring effective
preprocessor #defines and so on.  (C++ is desirable, but optional.)

The last time I looked at Eclipse CDT, it was somewhat approximate in
nature (just like ctags).  So I wonder if there are other options.  My
trouble with evaluating them myself is that I often can't tell whether
a certain feature is buggy or not reliably supported, or if the
project setup is wrong and the IDE cannot extract the required data
from the source files.

The IDE does not have to run on Debian.  It can be proprietary, but
obviously, it must be possible to get a single-seat license, and it
shouldn't cost significantly more than the computer it will run.