Re: [RFC] DEP-6: Meta-Package debian/control field

Steve Langasek wrote:
> In this scenario, with Recommends installed by default (the only sane
> model), the vast majority of metapackage dependencies are moved from Depends
> to Recommends, so you can remove those Recommends manually without forcing
> removal of the metapackage; and you can remove the metapackage without
> causing cascading autoremoval of e.g., half your desktop.

If I may, the "Recommends installed by default" scenario doesn't really
apply here, as the goal here is to remove some dependencies that you
don't want to have, because you want a smaller system. So what you are
asking for is having even MORE packages installed when we want LESS.

Thomas