Re: What is the best place for package meta-data ?

Le mercredi 16 décembre 2009 à 10:14 +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :

> Dear Guillem and Olivier,
>
> yes, I have been pointed DOAP (and PackageMap) on the debian-qa and
> debian-mentors mailing lists. I have spent a couple of hours this week reading
> things about “Semantic web” and related things. My conclusion is that the
> languages for linking concepts that are formalised in RDF files (XML, Notation
> 3, Turtle, N-triples, …), are too complex compared to simple YAML files.
> However, if we consider the DOAP as a simple list of keywords on which to
> standardise, then I can do my best to stick to them as far as possible.

RDF+XML may be too complex and verbose and probably has many other
aspects that can be criticized, but it is nevertheless a standard that's
the only one so far that helps contruct the Semantic Web (unless using
other forms of RDF, like RDFa)... so do whatever you want, but if you
limit yourself to custom ad-hoc local formats, and don't use standards,
you'll limit the potential reuse of what you did for so-far unexpected
applications.

It's up to you to eventually think beyond current needs, and then open
the door for others to build on top of what you did, on the Semantic
Web ;)

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu>