Re: ITA: dict-gcide

Hello Clint,

On Tuesday 15 Dec 2009 23:43:45 Clint Adams wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 05:24:48PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > The copyright file lists that the copy of GCIDE is archived. I am not
> > very sure who the current upstream is and if this database is still
> > actively maintained.
>
> It is not.  Upstream abandoned GCIDE on the grounds that WordNet is a free
> dictionary that is actively maintained, and so GCIDE was no longer
>  necessary. I feel that WordNet is of poor quality and largely inadequate,
>  so I disagree.

Me too. While Wordnet is pretty decent, GCIDE still has a more comprehensive
database in my opinion.

> > There have been many bugfixes to typos and definitions but I don't see a
> > debian/patches folder. Is Debian the only distribution packaging it now ?
> > Currently there are 19 open bug reports against this package. If I intend
> > to fix them, where do I submit the patches ?
>
> You don't.  You will be effectively maintaining a fork.  You might consider
> changing the name.

Sure. Looks like a good candidate to start a new project with ?
Especially since it contains more than 8 decades of data which can stand of
value even if just archived and maintained.

Probably we just host it on alioth and let interested parties contribute to
and use it.

Any suggestions on a different name ? Or should we just use the old one ?

Regards,
Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf