Re: Ubuntu packages for Debian

On Tue Dec 15 16:26:12 +0000 2009 Steffen Moeller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just received a request to upload a series of packages for Debian that
> are already available for Ubuntu.
>
> Is there a policy document on how to give appropriate credit for the
> original work? What if the version we are going to upload is newer than
> what is in Ubuntu?

If you are basing the packages on the Ubuntu packages then you can
retain the Ubuntu changelog entries, and just add the Debian one at
the top.

This retains attribution, and may provide more information to a future
archaeologist.

Of course, some people find it aesthetically displeasing when the first
Debian upload isn't the only stanza in debian/changelog.

Thanks,

James