Re: duplicate packages in Sources and Packages files

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 06:32:56PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > There have always been possible to have several versions of the same
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > binary package in the same suite (for different architectures) so this
> > shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.
>
> But in this case the different versions of one package end up in
> different package files because they are for different architectures.

Only in the case of the Debian archive in its current layout. [This
isn't a strict requirement, as the Packages file indicates the
architecture of packages which are listed within it.]

> At least for the packages files you should have a unique entry
> <package name> - <version> per architecture (in the sense of a
> primary key in a database like UDD
>
>    "packages_pkey" PRIIMARY KEY
>       (package, version, architecture, distribution, release, component)
>
> If this "key constraint" is violated in the packages file I have
> no idea how parsers should guess "the right" entry.

The (package, version, architecture) tuple is unique for an archive
[it could be present in multiple suites, but it'd be the same binary
package] so there shouldn't be a problem.

Don Armstrong

--
If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its
freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it