Re: Should ucf be of priority required?

On Sun, Dec 06 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On So, 06 Dez 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         So, policy does not require dependencies to be around at least
>>  during purge.
>
> Ah yes of course, sorry. I was referring to the remove phase, where it
> is also not present, although policy states it.

        Are you sure this is the case being discussed? The  thread is
 dealing with ucf -p, which is called when you are purging your package.

,----[  Manual page ucf(1) ]
| -p, --purge
|        Removes all vestiges of the file from the state hashfile. This is
|        required to allow a package to be reinstalled after it is purged;
|        since otherwise, the real configuration file is removed, but it
|        remains in the hash file; and on reinstall no action is taken,
|        since the md5sum of the new file matches that in the hashfile.
|        In short, remember to use this option in the postrm for every
|        configuration file managed by ucf when the package is being
|        purged (assuming ucf itself exists).  Note: ucf does not actually
|        touch the file on disk in this operation, so any file removals
|        are still the responsibility of the calling package.
`----

        So, I see no indication that dpkg is not following policy, based
 on this thread. What makes you think it is?

        manoj
--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity - so UP yours! (Adapted
from Pat Paulsen by Joe Sloan)