Re: is it ok to listen on a localhost port for tests during build time?

]] Serafeim Zanikolas

| The service supports no authorisation/authentication and, as of now, has no
| way of limiting the size of inserted messages. Would it be acceptable if I
| were to patch the tests to accept connections only from the localhost?
| (implies a potential risk of a local user attack)

What are the implications of a user inserting a message?  Test failing
where it should succeed?  DoS causing the build to fail?  DoS causing
the disk to fill up?  Local root exploit?  If it's just the build
failing, I think it's fine.  If it becomes a root exploit, it's
certainly not.

| From a robustness perspective, I could patch the tests to try several
| different port numbers if the default (11400) is not available.

This might be good, yes.

--
Tollef Fog Heen