doxygen + dot => anti-aliased png (was Re: Ridiculously large packages)

Hi there,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
>> On Friday 20 November 2009, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>> If you ever want this to be available on Debian CDs, you're going to
>>> have to do something about the size. For now, I'm going to blacklist
>>> this package altogether.
>>
>> Even though they do technically still fit on a CD, you may want to consider
>> excluding the following packages as well, as including them essentially
>> means having roughly 4 CD images dedicated to 9 packages.
>>
>> 534777750 vtk-doc_5.2.1-11_all.deb
>
> Slightly off topic, but I have been login some recommendations to
> divide the size of this package by at least a factor of 2.
>
> Reference (will be updated whenever tracking system process my mail) :
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=vtk-doc

Just for reference. Some package (such as vtk-doc) became very large
due to a minor change in doxygen/dot. Now PNG files are generated
using cairo which by default is doing antialiasing. Using :

  dot -Tpng:gd output.png input.dot

force the use of libgd to create the png file. The file size was
reduced by a factor of 10 on the small experiments I played with.

There is currently no easy way to update doxygen script to use this
trick (*). DD & DM have to resort hacking the DOT_PATH and have a fake
DOT script calling dot with the proper parameter.

I hope this help some debian maintainers,

--
Mathieu

(*)