Re: relocation error: ABI change?

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 09:27:06PM -0800, Ludovico Cavedon wrote:
> Hi,
> If you see en error message like this one (from [1]):
>
> qutecom: relocation error: /usr/lib/qutecom/libphapi.so: symbol
> CRYPTO_malloc_debug_init, version OPENSSL_0.9.8 not defined in file
> libcrypto.so.0.9.8 with link time reference
>
> does it mean than openssl changed ABI without an SO chanage? Or the
> NEEDED entries in libphapi are incorrect?
>
> I know that recompilation fixes it, but I do think it is supposed to
> happen, so I trying to understand what the cause is.

It seems I missed that that symbol changed from a define to a
real symbol and didn't bump shlibs.  I will fix that in a next
upload of openssl.  (Feel free to submit a bug against openssl
about that.)

The users seems to be using a mixing packages from testing/unstable
with packages from stable.

Kurt