Re: New source package formats now available

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Also, as a side comment, I would like to add that the “NMU workflow” often
> advertised on this list completely ignores that a large number of packages are
> stored in a VCS where all DDs have write acceess. Uploading a package with an
> anonymous and monolithic patch puts an additional load on the maintainer's work,
> which contradicts the goal of a NMU, to help a busy maintainer.

Well, IMO, the VCS helper tool should have a tool to import an NMU.
git-buildpackage has git-import-dsc for example.

> The formats ‘2.0’ and ‘3.0 (variant)’ bring a lot of nice improvements, like
> the use of multiple tarballs, different compression systems, and having the
> debian directory in a single tarball, which removes the need of uuencoding
> binary documents. I would welcome a variant that leaves the patch system in the
> hands of the maintainer. It would simplify our work by removing the need to
> fight against the modifications introduced by runing the autotools, which would
> be simply ignored instead of being turned into an useless patch. And it would
> also open a way to unify with the VCS-based formats.

You're fighting the wrong target here, your clean rules should bring the
package in a clean state again.

However, we have debian/source/options now to pass default options to
dpkg-source, we can certainly add more options to change the default set
of ignored files (-i command line option currently) so that you don't end
up with a supplementary patch in that case.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog