Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

Le Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 02:49:46PM +0000, Mark Brown a écrit :

> The flip side of this is that it's just inviting maintainers to decide
> they can't be bothered with porting effort and leaving ports as second
> class citizens.

It seems that the trend this year is to not trust the maintainers for anything…

How about the porters responsability towards the project ? For instance, hppa
is blocking the testing migration of a couple of my packages, and probably the
packages of many other maintainers as well. Why would it be my duty to help
people running Debian on machines that are not used in my profession, and for
which I have no qualification at all? I do not want to prevent people having
fun with Debian on this arch, so wouldn't the best solution to never build my
package on their arch in the first place? It would reduce the number of issues
to solve in both groups, Debian Med and the hppa porters, which like every
other group in Debian severely lack manpower.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan