Re: Re: GDM, getty and VTs

Good question. I guess they could be handled like the first text VTs:
ready to be started by pressing enter, on a configurable list
of /dev/ttyS? devices.

How about the following idea:

Introduce a configuration directory (e.g. /etc/inittab.d) in which packages can drop files to claim for allocation of specific ttys. For example, util-linux could drop a file in this directory that claims "I want getty on tty1-6, priority 100" whereas the gdm package could drop a file that claims "I want the first unallocated tty, preferably tty7, priority 110". I still don't have an idea for the actual syntax (or even implementation) of such configuration files, but it should be easy to adopt them to the user's individual needs.

I am not an expert and this is just a craze idea, but what do you think about it?

--
Dipl.-Phys. Fabian Greffrath

Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Lehrstuhl für Energieanlagen und Energieprozesstechnik (LEAT)
Universitätsstr. 150, IB 3/134
D-44780 Bochum

Telefon: +49 (0)234 / 32-26334
Fax:     +49 (0)234 / 32-14227