Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

Hello Joerg,
thanks for the updates.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 16:15, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@ganneff.de> wrote:
> source-only uploads
> -------------------
> After some discussion about this, there are two opinions within the
> ftp-team about this matter.  Given that other distros experience has
> shown that allowing source only uploads results in a huge loss of
> quality checks and an increased load on the buildds from packages
> FTBFSing everywhere, some members of the team believe that source+binary
> uploads should happen as currently,  but that the maintainer built
> binaries should be rebuilt by the buildds (i.e. be thrown away at accept
> time).  Other members of the team think that we should allow source-only
> uploads and that if some people keep uploading packages which FTBFS
> everywhere (showing a lack of basic testing), this should be dealt with
> by the project in other ways which are out of the scope of the ftp-team.
>
> The current "winning" opinion is to go with the source+throw away
> binaries route.  We are close to being able to achieve this, it is
> simply that it has not yet been enabled.  Before any version of this
> can be enabled, buildd autosigning needs to be implemented in order
> that dak can differentiate buildd uploads vs maintainer uploads.
>
> Provisions have been made in dak for things such as bootstrapping a
> new architecture where binary uploads from porters may be necessary
> in order to get going.

While I like the "source + trow away" solution, I'd also like to ask
you to please consider some methods to allow the "throw away" step on
the developer machine, for example having dput/dupload not upload the
.debs (so .changes still has them listed, but are not actually
uploaded) and still accepting the upload.

There are (still) people with slow internet connections or with very
huge packages, with several binary packages, that would benefit a lot
with this option.

Additionally, things like NMUs or QA uploads (so where the tarball is
not, generally, changed), would reduce to a ".dsc + .diff.gz +
.changes" file set, that's a lot faster to upload.

Thanks for considering,